Your story is a way of sharing photos and videos with your followers that disappear after 24 hours. Below is the official guide on how to share photos or videos to your Instagram stories.
How to do an Instagram Story
To share a photo or video to your story using the Instagram app:
- Tap in the top left of your screen or swipe right from anywhere in Feed.
- Tap at the bottom of the screen to take a photo, or tap and hold to record a video. To choose a photo from your phone’s library or gallery, swipe up anywhere on the screen. You can also:
Tap Boomerang at the bottom of the screen, then tap the circle to take a burst of photos that loops forward and backward.
To record a video that plays in reverse, first tap Rewind at the bottom of the screen. From there, tap and hold to take a video, or tap once to record hands-free.
Swipe left then tap Hands-Free at the bottom of the screen to take a video without having to tap and hold.
To record a video that automatically zooms in on an object and plays a dramatic sound, tap Superzoom at the bottom of the screen. Tap anywhere on the screen to select an area or object to zoom in on, then tap the circle to start recording.
Swipe left then tap Stop-Motion to make a video using a series of individual photos. Tap the circle to take your first photo, then keep tapping to take additional photos. You can tap and hold the last photo you’ve taken to see an overlay preview and align your next photo. When you’re finished, tap Done to see your stop-motion video.
- Tap , or to draw, add text or a sticker to your photo or video. Tap Undo to remove a drawing effect or Done to save it. To remove text or a sticker, drag and drop it on at the bottom of the screen.
To share a photo or video to your story from your mobile device at Instagram.com:
- Tap in the top left of your screen.
- Choose to take a photo or upload a photo from your library.
- Once you’ve taken a photo or selected a photo from your library, you can tap in the top right to add text.
- You can tap x in the top left corner to discard your photo, or tap to save it to your phone. When you’re done, tap Add to your story to share to your story.
When I share something to my story, where does it appear?
When you post a photo or video to your story, it appears in the following places:
On your profile: A colorful ring will appear around your profile picture, and people can tap it to see your story. Photos and videos from your story don’t appear on your profile grid.
At the top of Feed: Your profile picture will appear in a row at the top of your followers’ Feeds, and they can tap it to see your story.
In Feed next to posts you share: When you share a post, a colorful ring will appear around your profile picture in Feed. People can tap it to see your story.
How can I tell who’s seen my Instagram Story?
To look at who’s seen your story, open your story and swipe up on the screen. You’ll see the number as well as the names of the people who have seen each photo or video in your story.
Only you are able to look at who’s seen your story.
When does my story disappear?
Photos and videos you share to your story disappear from Feed and your profile after 24 hours.
How do I delete a photo or video from my Instagram Story?
To delete a photo or video from your story:
- Open your story
- Tap in the bottom right of the photo or video you’d like to delete
- Tap Delete then tap to confirm
How do I add a link to my story?
Adding links to your story is a feature that’s currently being tested. Right now, only verified accounts are able to add links to their story.
When you add a link to your story, people will see See More at the bottom of the screen, and can tap to view the link inside the app.
How do I share my story to Facebook?
To share your story to Facebook, first you’ll need to link your Instagram account to Facebook.
To share your story to Facebook:
- Start creating a story, then tap Next
- Tap Your Facebook Story
- Tap Share
You can also adjust your settings to allow all future stories to be shared to Facebook automatically:
- Go to your profile and tap (iOS) or (Android) in the top-right corner
- Tap Story Settings
- Next to Share Your Story to Facebook, tap to allow sharing
How do I link my Instagram account to my Facebook profile?
You can link your Instagram and Facebook accounts to share posts directly from Instagram to Facebook:
- Go to your profile and tap (iPhone) or (Android) in the top right
- Scroll down and tap Linked Accounts
- Tap Facebook and enter your Facebook login info
Once you link accounts, you’ll have the option to share a post to Facebook from the same screen where you add a caption.